Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I want to be like her.


This evening after a lovely pizza picnic on the back porch we stayed outside to play for awhile. I was planting flowers and the girls decided to run around under the hose. Surprisingly they kept their clothes on. I guess they are becoming more modest in their old age, heh. After a good soak in the water it was time to play "Rock Star." Daisy immediately began strumming her imaginary guitar (bright pink and electric, in case you where wondering)and jumping off the picnic table. Emma looked on, quietly strumming her own invisible guitar.
I decided to take pictures of the kids, since they were so cute and the light was right. As I was snapping away Emma looked at Daisy, who was in her full rock and roll star glory swinging her hair around and snarling her lip, and said "I want to be like her." I totally understood at that moment, but only later looking at the pictures did I see the whole story....
Emma was standing beside or slightly behind Daisy in nearly all of the shots and in several she was holding Daisy's legs up and helping her do a cartwheel, because every good rock star has to preform gymnastics onstage, d'uh. Emma is the careful, level headed, motherly one. Daisy is the girl who jumps from the highest branch she can climb to and won't admit that her leg hurts when she falls. Emma hasn't realized it yet but she plays a very important role, she's the backup to Daisy's lead guitarist. She's the Dave Grohl to Daisy's Kurt Cobain, the Page to her Plant, and that can be a pretty great thing.

6 comments:

  1. I love that you say "surprisingly, they kept their clothes on"...

    exactly what I'd have to say about the offspring... who is currently sitting in his underwears, wrapped in the snuggie like a robe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll just hope the three of them don't all decide that they should run naked through the park in July. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! Carrie...I just love your blog (and your pictures). You have a great way of writing these little snippets.

    I love your story about sweet Emma and crazy Daisy. It brought me to tears, really. So sweet and so true. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. that would be just hysterical

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I were like her too!!!!

    ReplyDelete